Monday, November 5, 2007

SockWars and other knits


It's time to talk about my SockWars experience. Mom keeps asking me everyday, so here goes Mom.

I really enjoyed the hype of the sockwars prior to beginning. I enjoyed the excitement of knitting socks quickly. I really enjoyed the pattern and was quite pleased with the pair I made. I sent those of to my target, who like them. In the mean time I was getting "pressure" from my Assassin via anonymous messages, about that she was almost ready to mail my socks. The pressure spurred me on. But it was quite a while before I received my socks. Above you can see a photo of those socks. I'm not sure if you can see in the photo, but only one sock has a heel flap, one has the heel turned right at the ankle. The socks ended up being too small, there are knots in some quite uncomfortable spots, and the knitting technique used on creating the "scars" were not consistently used throughout the sock. I was not too pleased. But I do like the yarn and color, so I frogged them and will use them to make something nice for myself.

I have a couple of other projects I have started to work on. One is a pair of socks for me. The colors seem to be difficult to photograph, but they are grey striped with a lovely colorway of soft lavenders, greens, and yellows. I love them! And a patter from "More Sensational Knitted Socks"

I have also started a pair of Endpaper Mitts by Eunny Jang, and am having a hard time with them. First it took me about 3 trys to get the Italian Cast-on just right. Then I reallized that I was knitting the colors backwards *ribbit*. Then found that I had dropped a stitch *ribbit* etc. I seem to be doing a lot of frogging on this one. But I am determined to stick it out, especially after all the time and effort alread put in.
Oh, and one last photo, the socks I am making for my Mom, modelled by my husband. Coming along quite well now, just going to continue the leg until I run out of yarn.

2 comments:

Cinnamonamon said...

Yea, the sock wars thing was fun, but I wish there was a way to make sure people knew what they were doing, ya know? The socks I received were knit by 2 different people. The second person knit at a gauge so much tighter than the first that she used a few YARDS less yarn. Both were knit too short; the tighter one slides the entire heel flap down to the bottom of my foot. Ugh. I'm hoping she sends the extra yarn on to me like she mentioned, then I can pull out the toe in both & knit them longer.

Love your new socks! I bet the endpaper mitts turn out great; I'm still too chicken to try stranding...

Anonymous said...

Those are some POORLY made socks - about as bad as I can imagine! I wonder why she even entered the "war". Much nicer as a ball of pretty yarn!
The endpaper mitts look pretty - sorry the start was lousy!
I'm off to work - screws everything up!
Connor just left for 4 days - off to "Nature's Classroom" - feels kind of strange.