You would think this was my very first pair of socks, with all the problems I have encountered. First, following the gauge chart in the book (More Sensational Knitted Socks) the socks ended up too wide, I first compensated by changing to a smaller needle, that was taking forever and you could not even see the gusset increases :-) So I then went to a larger needle and continued working even stitching until I was ready for the heel. Well, it appears I started the heel too soon and the socks are now too short. As you can see in the photo, there is enough ease due to the width to make up for the shortness and they just about make it onto my foot. I love this yarn as well as the crosshatch pattern, so I will love these socks when they are done, but right now they are making me laugh and laugh! Next I plan to do some decreases to find a comfortable width for the leg, and then I can have fun just finishing them up. hee hee hee I'm still laughing!